My husband owes back child support to someone who is

My husband owes back...

My husband owes back child support to someone who is deceased and his child is 28 now. What can we do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your husband taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?

He contacted a lawyer but because this money was owed to the grandmother he said that the mother had a claim to the money because she was over the estate even though it's settled

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that sums it up

4/15/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. It often does seem illogical to be required to pay child support under circumstances such as these. That said, when child support is not paid when it was due under a court order, the child's reaching the age of majority does not change the fact that the amount is still due. The law will view it as needing to be paid into the grandmother's estate for the benefit ultimately of the grandmother's heirs since when the support wasn't being paid, she was financially filling in the gaps to provide for the child and thus reduced her estate by that amount, which now should be replenished by the person who was ordered to pay the support. I wish I had better news for you, but essentially the law does not forgive back child support simply because the child is no longer a child because that would encourage non-payment in hopes no enforcement action is taken until the child reaches age 18.

If you had any additional questions, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy