Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez,
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
93419235

Is it against the law for a prosecutor to ask somebody with

Customer Question

Is it against the law for a prosecutor to ask somebody with disability who doesn't really understand much about someone else that's in jail that is also has a disability that is slower than most people and that doesn't understand talk to you and get information off of you to help put away someone who is in jail that also has a disability and doesn't understand and who doesn't explain themselves to the person that has a disability
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Yes and the next court date is the 24th of this month
JA: In what state did this occur?
Customer: Lampasas Texas
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.There is no prohibition per se as to this type of gathering of evidence. However, in Texas, like some other states, spouses cannot be forced to testify against their husband/wife. Moreover, any communications between husband and wife during the marriage is also confidential. Ergo, unless some privilege applies like spousal communication or attorney-client privilege, there is no general rule precluding the prosecutor from gathering possible evidence even from somebody with a disability.That said, the court will consider the defendant's physical and mental state in deciding whether the defendant exercised free will in confessing or providing information in the criminal prosecution of the defendant. Unfortunately, the Constitutional safeguards protected by Miranda Warnings do not exactly apply to witnesses (who are not potential suspects) as opposed to defendants.Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”) has
potential to protect persons with mental disabilities during police interrogation. The
ADA is a sweeping statute with the objective of eliminating discrimination against
the disabled; it requires public entities to “reasonably modify” their practices to
prevent discrimination on the basis of disability. Therefore, there could potentially be a violation of ADA by the police or prosecutor for failing to make reasonable accommodations to the disabled witness including examples such as the witness having access to counsel or a mental health professional present during questioning; or toning down of the questioning (e.g., limiting duration or avoiding using false evidence ploys to elicit information).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback.Rating me costs you nothing. Thank you.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? I am not an employee of the site and am only paid when you rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. Please let me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.