I am getting a divorce in Ohio. My Wife and I purchased a…

I am getting a...

I am getting a divorce in Ohio. My Wife and I purchased a home when we were engaged she used 20k of her own money plus 10k from a gift from her. If the intent of that money was to purchase a marital home will I have to repay her that money in the divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Ohio family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not about this particular situation as it has just came up today and I was wondering what the answer may be, since it usually takes him a few days to get back to me

4/11/2018
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The way this will typically work is that she gets her $30K from the sale of the home off the top, and then you would both split any equity above that once the mortgage is paid off. That money was her separate funds and she can "trace" them back to her separate source so a judge will normally award them back to her..

..

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney