We hired a general contractor who left us with an more than…

We hired a general...

We hired a general contractor who left us with an more than we owed him. We paid this amt from an invoice he presented. Charged for hours not worked. Can we get his gene contractors license revoked?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Called him and emailed him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

4/11/2018
Lori
Lori, Attorney

Hello. Let me see if I can assist. I am a FL attorney with over 25 years experience. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

Thank you

I​ recommend that you file a consumer complaint against the contractor with the FL attorney general's office. You can file the claim online:

http://myfloridalegal.com/contact.nsf/contact?Open&Section=Citizen_Services

I also recommend that you file a complaint with the Dept of Business and Professional Regulations:

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/datamart/complaintDBPR.do?applicationId=1

You can also file suit against the contractor for overcharging and for negligence by filing a complaint with the clerk of court in your county.

Have I answered all your questions.
If so, please remember to accept my response and post a positive 5-star rating.

Lori
Lori, Attorney
I have a signed contract and copies of the cancelled checks. He has a reputation as being “slippery” and always wanted his checks written to him personally, not his Corp.

B​e sure to use that evidence/documents in your complaints.

You can also report him to the IRS and you can post bad reviews on social media -- HomeAdvisors, Yelp and Angie's List.