A client likes to have a copy of his legal files related to…

A client likes to have...
A client likes to have a copy of his legal files related to a lawsuit from a small law firm, except the court files which the client already has. What would be the typical approach: the law firm mail the files to client, or the client come over to the law firm to pick the files up, or else? The client prefers to pick up the files from the law firm, would it be ok if he asks the law firm to leave those files at the front desk, so he can pick up the files from the front desk (are there any requirements that the client has to pick up legal files from an attorney, but can not pick up the files from the front desk)? Thanks.
4/11/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

The standard practice that most law firms uses is to make a copy of the file, some will pass that cost on to the client, some will not, then have the files available for pickup at the front desk. Most law firms will have the client sign an acknowledgement of receipt so they will have a document showing the file was received. Most law firms don't like the file to leave the law firm unless in the control of the client to prohibit something unexpected from happening.

However, there is no requirement that the files be physically handed from an attorney to the client. In fact, rarely would that be done. The main thing that will likely be part of the process is for an acknowledgement to be signed.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Thanks for the helpful answer. I think I just have one question about:
"Most law firms don't like the file to leave the law firm unless in the control of the client to prohibit something unexpected from happening"
What would be some examples of "something unexpected"?

Say that the unlikely happened and the Post Office misplaced it or the package was damaged and not all of the file made it. Or the post office left it outside of a residence an it was damaged or taken. If a courier was to deliver the package, the same is applicable. Essentially what the law firm wants to show for everyone's protection is that the entire file went from their possession directly to the client.

I always tell clients picking up their files from a law firm to review it and make sure everything is there. If not, address it before you leave.

Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer
Thanks for your help.

Most certainly and let me know if you have other questions.