If you are suing a company for pay due ... because you're…

Customer Question
If you are suing...

If you are suing a company for pay due ... because you're suing a business can you do it in small claims court it is for $5,000

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oops sorry forgot New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I attempted to write to him and the company what was due to me via our contract he said see you in court

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am an independent contractor that has a thousand minimum a day pay of which I worked 5 days they did not pay They had been paying well up to that point

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
4/11/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only. No course of action is proposed and the information provided does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

Yes, you can sue a company in small claims court. It's not just for individual vs. individual litigation.

Okay Olivia I'm waiting for your response

Not sure if you missed my answer... you CAN sue a company in small claims court. It's not just for individual vs. individual litigation.

Not my question. my question is the amount.New Jersey says $3,000 for small claims court unless you're suing a business.do you know any information on that

Let me look that up for you :)

"Small claims is one of three sections of the Superior Court's Special Civil Part. The other two sections are landlord/tenant and regular Special Civil Part..Small claims handles cases in which the demand is not more than $3,000 or $5,000 if the demand is for the return of a tenant’s security deposit. These are the monetary limits of small claims. If the amount of money you are trying to recover is more than the monetary limits but less than $15,000, your case should be filed in the regular Special Civil Part. Cases in which damages are more than $15,000 must be filed in the Law Division of the Superior Court." https://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/forms/10290_small_claims.pdf