I was wondering what the statue of limitations is for a

Customer Question
I was wondering what...

I was wondering what the statue of limitations is for a cival suit on a child sexual assault? It happened when I was 9 and I'm now 41. The assailant died. When this happened charges were filed. The assailant fled to another state. The city in which I still live in wouldn't go after him even though there was more than enough evidence. The reason they have was it was too expensive. Can a civil suit be filed against the town's police along with the department of child services?

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the sexual assault charges?

No the guy passed away. Nothing was ever done by law enforcement . It's on record but that's all that happened. He ran and lived his life in peace. They knew for over 20 years the exact town he was in

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

It happened in Oklahoma . He fled to Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just wanted to know if something could be done all these years later. Failure to protect or anyrhing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
4/11/2018
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 4 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. You want to sue the police for not filing charges? I thought you indicated that there were charges filed?

There were charges filed. However when he fled the police came to us and basically said we are sorry we do not have the funds to extradite him back. They knew the exact town he fled to and was living in. Nothing was ever done

Thank you
I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. You can not sue the police or child services, or any other subdivision of the state. The reason is the legal doctrine of discretion. Law enforcement has discretion. That means that they are not required to investigate or prosecute any particular complaint of misconduct. So you can report this to law enforcement…but if they refuse to investigate/prosecute? There is no way to force them to do so.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue the state over this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.