How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 129491
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

14 yr old granddaughter run away. Her Mother has done all

This answer was rated:

14 yr old granddaughter run away. Her Mother has done all she can to locate her. Working with police and other office. My granddaughter was located today at a well know drug house with some not so nice people. Police went and were told she wasn't there. However my daughter didn't believe them. She went to the house herself and heard her daughter inside. When she asked the not so nice people to send her daughter out - they helped her daughter get away out back window. She asked the police if she could press charges against these not so nice people for hiding her daughter. She was informed NO! Because my granddaughter is 14 and not being held against her will. We live in the state of MI. Are they correct about this? The have been hiding her for a month police have been there 3 times and the claim they don't know her and haven seen her. I know this is not a normal kind of question but can you advise us what else to try?
JA: Have you talked to a MI lawyer about this?
Customer: My daughter is going tomorrow to speak to someone in the DA's office.
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Police have a run away notice she has a probation officer. We can't get her in front of a judge because we can't caught her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Little "D" that's what I call my granddaughter. She is just a child. She is dealing with a lot. I'll tell you that she is very angry at her mother because she threw her father out of the house little over 18 months ago for raping there 16 year old daughter. He was charged and served 18 months. However , Little "D" was very close to her Dad and won't believe it. We got her counseling at school and out side but she keeps running away.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The police are not correct, these people have interfered with your child custody, see:

You need to contact your local DA about this, since they have final say over who they are filing charges against. Even if the DA refuses to accept criminal charges, your daughter can file for a civil restraining order against these people and get a court order preventing them from being anywhere near your grandchild. Then if these people violate the order, the police have to arrest them for contempt of the retraining order.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you