In SC my understanding is that a landlord must return

In SC my understanding...

In SC my understanding is that a landlord must return deposit monies within 30 days of the tenant relinquishing the apartment along with an itemized list of damages with cost of repair, and receipts, and that it should be delivered by registered, or certified mail, and if these guidelines are not followed then the tenet is due a refund in the amount of three times the deposit and attorneys fees. In this case the management company is asking for damages in the amount of about $1600.00, which is ridiculous, because the apartment was left very clean with only normal wear and tear, but mainly because the letter notifying us came 54 days after moving out. So I’m thinking any payment for damages real, or imagined are mute, because management didn’t follow proper procedures. My question to you is, If all of what I wrote is true will it be upheld in court, and I win the case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It was my sons apartment. I asked him to get me a copy of the lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wouldn’t SC law supercede the lease?

4/4/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Phone call session started

Calling now.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a letter that puts the landlord on notice that their actions regarding the security deposit is unlawful (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

You can click here for more information.