I am trying to move a friend into my house. My HOA says I…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to move a friend into my house. My HOA says I can have no leases. My friends wants a lease to be protected. Is their any options of other agreement documents or memos that isn’t considered a lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No None

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

1525 Pheasant Run Dr , Newark Ohio 43055

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only option is one I could not endorse as you using and that is to put them on the deed as joint tenant if they insist on a lease. I would not suggest adding them to the deed as joint tenant because you are essentially saying they are now a part owner of the home. You need to tell your friend that either they live with you without any lease or go find somewhere else because your HOA will not allow you to provide any lease and he will be a month to month tenant you can remove with 30 day notice.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

they said I can’t sign them to a lease while I’m living there because me living there means I’m technically leasing less than the whole house. Are they correct on this?

Thank you for your reply.

That is true but that is not against the law, it is only up to the HOA bylaws and covenants. So you need to review those to see if the HOA is telling you correct information because if it is not in the bylaws or covenants, they cannot prevent you from doing it.