I'm trying to understand my rights to cancel a contract for…

Customer Question
I'm trying to understand...

I'm trying to understand my rights to cancel a contract for services in Kansas, within 24-48 hours of signing the agreement

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. Wanted to know my rights first.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Contract has a provision for cancelation that requires payment for products received but I haven't received any products as of yet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Have you contacted the other party yet? What is the contract for?

I have not. Chiropractic Services
I just signed the contract less than 24 hours ago; since then I received a very negative response to an inquiry as to the reputation of the business

What does the contract provide for early termination?

The contract has a cancelation provision based on the receipt of some products; I however have not received these products as of yet.

Does the chiropractor have a cancellation policy?

payment for treatments received; the treatment I received thus far was paid for under a promotion

Thank you for the additional information and your patience.

Since the contract has no provision for early termination the cancellation would be treated as a breach of contract and you would be liable for the damages stemming from the breach. However, since you have not received any treatment after the cancellation the damages would be nominal. The chiropractor can just schedule a different patient.

So, your first step is to let them know you will not be taking any further treatment.

The next step is theirs. They would likely demand payment for the next treatment, but after that, I imagine, they would just move on to the next patient.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

There are no additional appointments scheduled as of yet. It was a commitment for future treatments along with a number of products.

If you have not paid anything and do not have any scheduled appointments, I would advise that you just send a letter saying you will not be purchasing any more products or scheduling any further treatment.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.