I got a summons sued by a Vero credit. I have 2 accounts…

Customer Question
I got a summons...

I got a summons sued by a Vero credit

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I have 2 accounts with them one of them I’m still making payment the other account was repo by me

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Why? Because my husband and I been separated for 2 years he didn’t pay for few months I couldn’t afford to pay two cars so I call Vero credit to repor it now they’re giving me 30 days they open the case March 8 I didn’t get the summon in person until March 25 I only have until April 8

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I here at court house can’t get help I called several ##no help no call back I never been on this died before I called the paintiff’s lawyer no answers

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m really sorry to hear about your situation. I have experience in representing debtors in court so you’re in good hands.

The first thing that is important to do is to respond to the lawsuit. It’s recommended that you respond to the lawsuit. Most jurisdictions require that you respond within 20-30 days after the lawsuit is filed, meaning there isn’t a lot of time to do so. One thing that you can do is click here to purchase a template “Response to Creditor Lawsuit” that you can edit to your liking, make three copies, and file that in the same court where the lawsuit was initiated. Keep in mind that even if you are responding to a lawsuit, most courts require a filing fee. The court will stamp that the docs have been received. The court will keep one copy of the received document and the court will give you back stamped copies of the others (one for you to keep and one for you to serve).

You can do all of this without a lawyer.

When you get those documents, you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. Service is required when you are suing someone for almost all papers you file with the court. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

In the meantime, the court will set up court dates like the case management conference (where the parties update the court as to the process of the case). You will also have a chance to conduct “discovery” with the other party. The basic discovery process is a good tool for people involved in a lawsuit to find out information the other party has. Discovery usually can’t begin until about 10-14 days after filing the initial complaint, depending on your jurisdiction. Through the discovery process you can usually a) request documents to help your case; b) conduct a deposition (which is a formal interview of certain parties); c) request admissions to certain things so there is less time wasted at a potential trial.

Regardless, sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Ok I understand but why I got charge $42 it suppose to be $5 I just got a overdraft I don’t have enough money to pay $42 now $34 overdraft ��

I'm so sorry to hear about that.

You can always contact Just Answer’s Customer Care team by clicking here or calling them at 1-***-***-**** for assistance.