We live in LWR,Florida. After a survey by our neighbor

Customer Question
Hi, We live...

Hi, We live in LWR,Florida. After a survey by our neighbor claims our under ground irrigation pipes are on his property.We are trying to find a person to move them, but will not be in time. He has hired a firm to did the area up on next week. Is it TRUE after 7yrs anything under & above is his to do as he wishes ? Thank you Sydney

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

NO, We are frantically trying to find someone to move our pipes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

NO you are our first attempt to find out what to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We live in a HOA property with a CEVA BOARD. After I find out more I may go to them

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 20 days ago
Barrister, Attorney

Is it TRUE after 7yrs anything under & above is his to do as he wishes ?

.

No, not at all.. He is referring to the legal concept of "adverse possession". In Florida the period of time for adverse possession must be at least seven (7) years. Florida Code 95.16-.18

.

but this refers to a situation where you would be actually claiming use rights over his property since you have been legally trespassing on it with your pipes..

.

So he kind of has it backwards... it would be you who were claiming an easement through adverse possession if your pipes have been on his land for over 7 years..

.

If so, you could file a "quiet title" lawsuit against him to claim a legal easement to continue to use the land where the pipes are located... However, you are probably looking at $5K or so for an attorney, so it might just be cheaper to move them..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney