Is there a specific law about county and city charging new…

Customer Question
Is there a specific...

Is there a specific law about county and city charging new home owners for permits not being paid in the past??

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Shasta county

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger.

Permit fees are the responsibility of the property owner. If they are not paid when the work is done then the permitting body can impose them on a subsequent owner when the oversight is discovered.

The current owner may have a claim for breach of contract to assert against the selling prior owner if they knowingly misrepresented all prior work was done in accordance with code.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.