My father, Bradford Grice was in a accident on Easter

Customer Question
My father, Bradford Grice...

My father, Bradford Grice was in a accident on Easter Sunday, April 1st 2018. I am needing to find out information about what I should do for his court date on May 12 2018. He was drinking and driving pretty heavily when he flipped he’s duelly truck into a creek bank near a church. With it being Sunday and Easter I’m not positive if anyone was attending church at the time, though I do know this isn’t near his first DUI. Even though they have all been over five years. In case the judge recommends jail time or a fine that we can’t afford I’m wanting to know If I want to try to do treatment options for him being an alcoholic, would I need to invest in hiring him a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is your father in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Jones County, Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your father taken so far?

Since it was two days ago he’s been at home resting since he’s very sore and had a concussion. My mom used to always do everything for him and she passed last December so I know he has no idea what to do in this matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was alcohol in the vehicle and there were pedestrians standing by saying he almost wreaked into him. Though I don’t know if the police knew about it or not.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If your father's prior DUIs were all more than 5 years ago, this one will be treated as his first DUI. Nevertheless, since it is a misdemeanor, it would be a good idea for him to be represented by a lawyer.

There is a reason that there is a Constitutional right to a lawyer when you are charged with a crime. Criminal cases can have lifetime repercussions and lawyers are aware of rights and issues that a lay person would not see. Thus they can almost always resolve a better for a defendant than the defendant can do on his own.

That said, judges do like defendants who accept responsibility for their actions and who take proactive steps so that the problem won't reoccur. If your father needs rehab or a program, this would be a good time for him to start seeking some help.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.