Police came into my emergency room and took notes on my

Customer Question
Police came into my...

Police came into my emergency room and took notes on my medical and personal information and ran my name for warrents. He also interogated my spouse in front of our 5 yr old daughter. I did not commit a crime. I had a hearttack and went to the emergency room. Now they know about my personal information and others can too through the freedom of information act. Thanks to the police department and the officer.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I subpoenaed the records of the report and got all the people's names that were in the emergency room call the hospitol hippa violation line am in the process of filing a violations report with the OCR. I am also disabled.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Legal
4/4/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 21 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Could you explain a little more?

What was the Police Officer there in the first place?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The police came with the ambulance. I only noticed that the third person was a cop when he turned and I saw the insignia on his sleeve. I was answering questions the doctor about my personal information when I saw him writing stuff down. When he left he went into the waiting area and started to interrogate my spouse in front of my daughter. She took offence to it and told him excuse me? Then his attitude changed and he got bossy with her and told her she needed to leave and wait for me at the hospital. Days later I find out about more when I subpoenaed the report and communications the officer was involved in as far as it concerned my name. I don't know why he was there. I don't know why the staff let him stand there. All I know is that they, police man,the ER staff, and the police at southern shores police department and communications , all were involved in it.

Thank you for the information and I am so sorry for your ordeal.

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
What can I do to take them to court. I know they broke laws. They have to be held accountable. What do you think as far as a lawyers standpoint about this?

Thank you for the information.

Your issue would be with the hospital for letting the Police Officer into the room and letting him take personal information and interrogate you without a Court Order. That is a HIPAA violation and violation of your privacy. So, you can sue the hospital for privacy violations. You may consider retaining the services of a local Attorney who handles health care issues to assist you with the case. You can use Google to find local Attorneys or the following websites:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law