I am producing a feature film about Human Trafficking in…

Customer Question
Hi i am producing...

Hi i am producing a feature film about Human Trafficking in America - mI need clarification in something. when a child is missing and the parents go to the police - The police would say to the parents that they have to wait 24th hours in order to start the search?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MI lawyer about this?

I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We are re writing the script now. and one scene is that they mother comes to the station and they officer tells her about the 24th hours . i want to make sure that it is the proceedia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

That 24 hour waiting period is not procedure in all missing children cases. Whether or not the police will make the parents wait 24 hours to take a report depends on the age of the child and the circumstances under which the child disappeared and also whether or not there is a history of disappearance. For a 15-17 year old, the police are more likely to force the parents to wait 24 hours than they would for a 10-13 year old for example. This is because many times older teens will end up out with friends or at someone's house perfectly safe and police simply do not have the manpower to look for every single child that does not come home.

Also the circumstances surrounding the disappearance would come into play. If a teen was supposed to come home from school, had never not come home from school before and suddenly did not come home and none of their friends have had contact, the police are more inclined to take that report than they would of a teen who frequently goes somewhere with their friends after school (just as an example).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.