I filed a motion to extend discovery to May 4, 2018, and to…

Hi!I filed a motion to...
Hi!I filed a motion to extend discovery to May 4, 2018, and to compel a deposition by April 26, 2018.I received answers to the supplemental interrogatories that I asked, and the answers are non-specific, and there are 17 general objections and responses to my questions.The questions are straightforward. The defendant can not answer them because the will imply guilt.What can I do?Than you
4/3/2018
Attorney Wendy

First, consider writing a letter stating that the objections are overly broad and that all responsive, non-objectionable information has not been provided and that they should supplement to avoid your filing a subsequent motion to compel. Motions to compel are filed to get answers to discovery not answered at all and also to have a court determine whether sufficient answers have been provided. Sometimes the only way to determine whether objections are appropriate is to go to the court, which can review the information and then determine what, if anything, more must be provided to you. Unfortunately it is quite common to get incredibly vague and general responses to interrogatories, which requires a much more thorough deposition of witnesses to get all the information if the court does not require it or you wish to proceed with depositions first. Just be sure to file any motion to compel with enough time before the end of discovery to allow for a hearing/decision and still time to follow-up if needed.

Please note: This information is ​for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
When you say write a letter. Write a letter to the judge?I was thinking of just consededing the interrogetories, and getting to the deposition.The first answer to interrogatory number 1, is a lie. Is that bad not to address it, or can I just try to exploit the lie at the deposition?Thank you

Write a letter to the opposing side; and I agree get to the deposition as quickly as possible as you will get more information in most instances that way anyway. If the answer is false, make them stick to it. Rather than pushing to have them correct it, it may be more useful if you can prove it is false to have that in the interrogatory as you can use their answers to do what is called "impeach" a witness at trial by showing that one answer was provided in written discovery/interrogatories and another is what has been shown. It undermines their credibility.