My minor child received a subpoena to testify as a witness…

My minor child received...

My minor child received a subpoena to testify as a witness at her father's trial today. Previously we had received summonses and I spoke with the district attorney's office. Her presence will be harmful to her mental health. She made a suicide attempt last summer following the incident her father is being charged with. Her therapist, physician, school guidance counselor all agree that she is not mentally stable enough to handle this without causing her harm. The district attorney granted permission for her not to appear the previous 4 times we were summoned; however now with a subpoena I understand she has to attend? What can I do to protect her?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I didn't know what to do as I just received the subpoena Friday. I didn't realize it was different from the previous summons until I looked closely at it yesterday. I have been searching online for information and have find nothing that applies

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't believe so

4/3/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If the district attorney issued the subpoena, you can try contacting them and seeing it was issued by mistake or if you can get something in writing stating that they agree to cancel it. Otherwise, you can file a Motion to Quash the subpoena. That's ordinarily done in a written motion, but if the trial is today, you'd have to go to court with your daughter and make the motion orally. Your daughter can sit outside the courtroom until the judge rules. That way, she's there if he denies the request and you won't get in trouble, but she's more protected from what's happening inside the courtroom.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I read a lot about motions to quash; however everything I read said an attorney has to file it and they mostly pertained to documents. Is there a specific form I need to use it can I just say that is what I want to do and explain why to the judge?
Just read the subpoena again.. It was issued by my ex husbands attorney

That's too bad, because it means the district attorney probably won't be able to help you. But you don't need a lawyer to file anything in court. Our system is based on the idea of open access, and you don't get open access if you need to have enough money to pay someone to file for you.

They are more commonly used for documents, but can be used to quash any subpoena.

This sample might help with formatting. The arguments are going to be specific to your daughter.

https://ipswichtrust.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/probate-lnlac-110609-motion-to-quash.pdf

I'm sorry.. Just to clarify, I don't need a specific form? Can I just request this when I check in at the DA's office? And thank you so much

The courts unfortunately don't make a specific form. The district attorney most likely isn't going to be able to give you anything. You can try calling them before you go in. If the DA also doesn't want your daughter to testify, they might help, but they don't have to because they don't represent you. This is something you'd usually draft and file yourself.

With the trial today, you'd give it to the clerk of the court when you arrive at the courthouse, with copies to the DA and the defense attorney.

If you just got the subpoena, you can use the late delivery as another reason to quash it.

Ok thank you. That motion uses a lot of language I unfortunately don't completely understand, nor does it apply to my situation. I'm wondering if I just write a letter requesting the motion be quashed and giving my reasons, if that would suffice

Like I said, that's a sample to show you formatting only. Anything you submit to the court should be in the form of a motion.

Ok thank you

You're welcome. Call the DA, just in case they can help. Good luck today.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney