I am located in Oklahoma and am needing to find out if a…

Customer Question
Hello i am located...

Hello i am located in Oklahoma and am needing to find out if a machanic can withhold my 2 motorcycles from me? There was never any written agreement, signed consent refusing a written agreement, nor any type of estimated invoice made and given to me. The Bikes have been with the machanic several months now (way longer then expected). Now we find out that the machanics shop closed down, the machanic said 1 month ago but really, 7 months ago and the machanic has been "storing" the bikes at his "buddies" house. Everytime we tell The machanic we want to come pick the bikes up he keeps having excuses as to why we cant go get the bikes. He wont let us know where they are & now hes saying he dont have to give them back. That he can put a lien on them... What should or can i do? The machanic has a crimanil record a mile long & most of it is theft or con artist type crimes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an Oklahoma lawyer about this?

Thats why im asking for advice through this website so i can get an idea of what i can or cant do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

So far nothing other then letting the machanic know we wanted our bikes back. All the new information was brought to light just last night.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so, i believe i have hit all the highlights.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 20 days ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Do you owe him money for work on the bikes?

.

If not, what would be his grounds to claim a lien on them?

.

Do you know if he has any felonies for similar crimes like fraud or theft?

.

Do you know where the guy is now?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
He says we owe him money for parts he bought to put on the bikes and we told him to keep the parts HE chose to buy and we would take the bike with its old parts back.Yes he has a few felonies for both fraud and theft.Yes we know he has now become a truck driver and we know where he lives but not where his buddy lives which is where he says the bikes actually are.

Smells fishy to me but you might want to call his bluff and tell him you will pay him for the parts if he has receipts for them and see what he says..

.

If he still puts you off, then you might want to tell him you are going to contact the local District Attorney and file a felony criminal complaint for theft and see if he changes his tune..

.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he has sold the bikes for parts or done something else with them and doesn't actually have then any longer..

.

That would leave you with seeing if the DA would file a criminal charge or you may be left with suing him civilly for the value of the bikes and then trying to garnish his wages to collect..

.

.

thanks

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 16 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
We were supposed to go pick up our bikes this morning but we were called & told he'd bring them to us on Tuesday. Yet another excused attempt. Come Tuesday if he doesn't show we will he head to the city to have the police esscort us to find our bikes.
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 15 days ago

I think you have a good plan in the works there especially if he has a history of fraud and theft. I wouldn't be the least bit shy about filing criminal charges against him..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 12 days ago

Hello again,

.

.

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney