I am wondering how much legal right a grandparent has in the…

Hello, I am wondering how...
Hello, I am wondering how much legal right a grandparent has in the state of GA to make decisions about the raising of a grandchild?
4/3/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

.

A grandparent that does not have custody has zero legal right to make decisions about raising a grandchild.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

I am wondering how much legal right a grandparent has in the state of GA to make decisions about the raising of a grandchild?
OH OK THANKS
i LOST CONTACT...can I still go on with this conversation?
Sorry, my computer locked up...can I continue the conversation?
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
I am a different Attorney and wanted to see if you still needed assistance with your question?

Are you online with me?

Thank you. I was unable to converse with the lawyer who was here first because my computer locked up. My concern is over the mother in law/father in law...to one of my children, who does not like my child's choice to homeschoool the grandchildren. These people seem to indicated that they will be starting some trouble. We're not sure what they may do. The question I have may be...can we somehow document, formally, that we expect them to cause some trouble because they do not wish their grandchildren to be homeschooled...so that whatever they come up with to do against my child and her spouse (their own son, who also supports and participates in the homeschooling of the kids), can be somehow thwarted? Because it is suspected that they may call some family and children organization to create some contrived issue ...as we can't think of anything else that they may try to come up with...to try to put pressure or retaliate, given they have been told that it is the choice of the parents to homeschool...and has been for some years now. We suspect that they may, as we know some have, try to weaponize the family and children department. I know that this happens, but do not know how to thwart it, somehow. Thank you for any help and advice.

No worries about your computer.

Grandparent’s have rights only when they are granted by the court. They can certainly cause problems by engaging The Division of Family and Children Services. That does not mean that the investigation will produce any negative results. The best way to be in front of a potential issue is to contact a local Attorney to assist. Where in Georgia is this occurring?

North ga up above atlanta...far north near the western North carolina area. Thank you...

Is this in Fulton County?

Are you online with me?

I'm sorry I will be away from the computer s take care of older relative...so back and forth
I'm sorry I thought I sent this message. I hit enter and didn't hit send. Very sorry..no Towns County.
I am leaving now as I am a part time caregiver for an elderly neighbor. Please forgive my intermittent participation...distraction. Thank you for any response and info. TYSM.
No worries I just wanted to provide information for the correct county.
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/family-law/towns-county/georgia
Thank you for using JA. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit from the site for my work I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
Thank you.