I have a question about tax law. Income tax. I am preparing…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about tax law.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

This is for federal income tax

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am preparing a tax return

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No . are you connecting me with income tax preparer

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Can I deduct homeonwers insurance on a decedent return form 1041
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Yes you can deduct it on the decedent's final tax return.You wold need to itemize to claim it for them.

To deduct expenses of owning a home, you must file Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). If you itemize, you can't take the standard deduction.Jan 24, 2018

Publication 530 (2017), Tax Information for Homeowners ... - IRS

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

this is for his 1041 Decedent Estate return.

"Where do I report deductions for property insurance and repairs, maintenance,etc.for estates on Form 1041?"

If the property is being used as rental property, then the expenses (along with any income) would be reported in the Rentals and Royalties section under Income in the Federal Taxes tab (see first screenshot).

If the property is investment property (e.g., vacant and not being used by a beneficiary and has no other personal use), then the expenses would be reported in the Expenses, taxes, and fees section under Deductions in the Federal Taxes tab (see second screenshot). The expenses would essentially be administration expenses incurred for the management, conservation, or maintenance of estate property (subject to the 2% floor).

If there is any personal use of the property, then the expenses incurred are not deductible.