I need to ask a question about the appellate process

the plaintiff's case was dismissed by the judge for not proving having a prima facia case. I believe now the judge will rule on my counterclaims and award me money. MY concern is if the plaintiff appeals what is the procedure?
4/3/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello. Thanks so much for requesting me. I signed off before you sent this message yesterday. Generally, if they are going to appeal, they have to draft up the reason for their appeal, file it, and serve a copy of the appeal documents on you. The appeals court will then make a decision on whether to grant the appeal. The court will look at whether the lower court made any errors in the law and make its decision thereafter. If you click here, you can see the basics for their state.

What other questions did you have for me today?

If the appeal is denied does the judgement then stand and she has to pay me or can she continue to appeal?
Also how long generally does the original appeal process take roughly? thanks

Yes. If the appeal is denied, the judgment stands and they have to pay you. They couldn't appeal to a higher court on the issue. In your state, appeals can take a long time to be reviewed since there are so many, but I have seen that it can take up to six months, but usually much faster.

Did you have any other questions at all for me today?

thank you so much my only concern is this client has owed me this money for 10 years and has refused to pay and she has the funds to continue to litigate so I wanted to know if there is any other method she can use to not pay her judgement it was a bench trial no jury so I am hoping the appeals court will deny her appeal since her case was thrown out by the judge
is it difficult to answer an appeal since my lawyer has not responded

I understand. The only other thing she could do to get out of this is file bankruptcy, but that has its own set of issues and I couldn't tell you whether they're likely to do so and there's no guarantee that their bankruptcy petition would be approved. If you've been given a judgment and if there are no issues with the law that was applied, then you should be A-ok.

thank you again so much

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

if I need help to write a brief can you or any other lawyer here help me?

Possibly. Because you live in NY, I wouldn't be able to help you; however, a NY-licensed attorney here may be able to assist:-)

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
thanks

You bet!