Is it okay that an attorney doesn't give you an invoice,

Customer Question
Is it okay that...

Is it okay that an attorney doesn't give you an invoice, when asked, until after the case is settled?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Requests have been asked since December and me and my family are upset because our business is about to come to a close and she still will not give us an answer. We don't even know her hourly rate nor what she has does for the case she claims it's because she doesn't ask for a retainer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It's an estate issue, and there was a bill for $8000 that could've been forgiven but the attorney said no, just take it off the top. Our Realtor also gave us information regarding selling the family home that our attorney was supposed to give us. Also, our attorney said we nor she needs to be there for closing when we did the P&S, there were many changes that our attorney didn't bring to our attention, our realtor did knowing that we were against what the buyers were asking...our attorney knew this too but just shrugged it off until we said no.

Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 18 days ago
Michael Bradley

did you sign a fee agreement?

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
no
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I am unable to afford the telephone call. I have to only get the 5 questions promised to me at the rate of $5
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I am ending this chat - you have not answered my questions
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 18 days ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
It is not appropriate. Engagement letter normally provides for them to be issued monthly. Courts can dismiss claims for legal fees where lawyer neglected to invoice the client during the matter regularly.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
That was only one question answer, I was wondering is it ethical to for an attorney not to attend a closing on the selling of the house? And is it wrong for a family member who wants to be in attendance to be declined attending?
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Also, there was a bill for $8000 that would've been forgiven had the attorney do her due diligence on sending a letter that was requested yet the attorney did nothing and now me and my family have to pay this bill - what can we do about that?
Lawyer should attend.
Family often do not attend
If lawyer made an error and didn’t perform due diligence you may look to the lawyer to cover the loss.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
But with the history of the attorney allowing items to be passed that we clearly asked her not to include on the P & S - AND this was brought to our attention by the Realtor and when spoke to her about it she stated it would be ok until we refused to sign - you're still saying a family member should not go to the closing? You mentioned often family members do not attend however, is it okay to attend?
It is up to the client and lawyer. Family usually don’t attend. If client insists then should be accommodated and allowed.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
You also stated that the courts can dismiss legal fees, etc. How would we go about doing that although we are not saying we want to, we just do not want to get charged abnormally high for services not rendered and/or proven as well as providing the services in a timely manner. And speaking of timely manner - what is a timely manner for submitting invoices to clients who have not given a retainer fee? Also, what is timely manner for a response when asked (we've asked several times for an invoice since November 2017 and still nothing).
You can defend if sued for lack of invoicing and errors made.
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I have other questions - how often can I come back to you to receive answers without my fees going up? 7 days?
Not sure what you signed up. That would be for customer service.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thank you
Tina, Lawyer