How must I be a resident in California before I am subject…

Customer Question
How long must I...

How long must I be a resident in California before I am subject to a law suit here. I thought it was 30 days minimum but cant find the statute.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Search the web to find the statute.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This relates to a probate guardianship case where the miner was here visiting relatives for less than 30 days at the time of fileing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. There's no minimum amount of time that you must live in CA to be subject to a lawsuit. Generally, so long as a party either a) lives in California or b) is subject to jurisdiction in CA in some other way, then they can be sued here. For instance, if you are just traveling through CA to get to Washington, but you get in a car accident in CA, then you can be sued in CA. In addition, under the rule of minimum contacts, any party with minimum contacts with the state can be subject to jurisdiction. So, if you live in TX, but you sell auto body parts to people in CA, you have established minimum contacts with the state of CA and can be subject to jurisdiction.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

how long must I be a resident in California before I am subject to a law suit here. I thought it was 30 days minimum but cant find the statute. 14 year odthank you for the response. c b

You're welcome. Did you get a chance to see my answer? The answer is there is no minimum.