I have owned a 4 unit property in Pacific Beach, San Diego…

Customer Question
I have owned a...

I have owned a 4 unit property in Pacific Beach, San Diego about 32 years ago and discovered through the inspector that one unit did not have a permit because the agent and owner did not disclose that it was not permitted. Can I still go after the agent to bring the unit up to code?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I still own it, I bought it 32 years ago. I have not taken any steps yet except I have a licensed architect come this week to make a drawing to obtain the combo permit

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is mainly it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

I would like to have an answer please. Also I would rather be called at ***-***-****. Thanks.

Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The statute of limitations for breach of contract in California is four years. Cal. Code Civ. P., Section 337. Failure to disclose is going to fall within that category. Unfortunately, that means you would not be able to sue the agent who assisted with the sale 32 years ago.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.

Do you have any other questions about this?