Is there a law that says if you have maintained property for…

Customer Question
Is there a law...

Is there a law that says if you have maintained property for over 10 years that it belongs to you even if a survey is done that defines your property lines other than what you thought they were? I am a widow and am having issues with my neighbors. I live on 2 lots smack dab in the middle of a Bible School in the hill country. My family has maintained the property since 1960 (it used to be owned by our church, Trinity Baptist). Now all the "un-owned" property is leased to these people and they are getting very particular about the lines.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. I don't know what to do. They paid to have a survey of my property. According to them I don't even have access to my cabin where I live. Also, my water main cutoff would be about 12 outside the lines. I find it very confusing and not sure what to do.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the cabin located?

Just outside of Comfort

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I share water with them from their well. Can they cut my water supply off?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What state are you in?

.

Are you saying you have been using land that you don't own for over 10 years?

.

.

thanks