I need to sue the city because one of their police units…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I need...

Second opinion] I need to sue the city because one of their police units totaled my car and they were off the job already and not in any pursuit I just don't know how to go about it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None - i had to take it up with my insurance because i wound up needing a new car

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 3 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
I am willing to wait. Can you just connect me with a lawyer that can handle/take this case?
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

If your insurance company paid out then the claim is now theirs to pursue under their subrogation rights. You have, presumably, been compensated for your loss and any recovery you would get from the police would go to the insurance company to repay them for any damages they already paid out.

What if I had to buy a new car when my old one I no longer needed to make payments on and it was in really great condition since I barely drove it - the money I got back was not nearly the amount I could get for a good car again

You would still have to first repay the insurance company whatever they paid you from any award.

The payments or lack of payments on the old car is not legally relevant. All that the court will be concerned with is the value of the vehicle at the time it was damaged.

Other than that, the police are liable for the damages if the officer was driving their car negligently.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.