I need to sue the city because one of their police units…

Customer Question
I need to sue...

I need to sue the city because one of their police units totaled my car and they were off the job already and not in any pursuit I just don't know how to go about it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None - i had to take it up with my insurance because i wound up needing a new car

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
4/3/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 23 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

The City has Claims Department where claims against the City are submitted. If the City refuses to pay the claims, then lawsuits would be filed against the City. So, you need to contact the City Hall and ask to be directed to the Claims Department so that you can file your claim for property damage. If the City ignores your claim or declines to pay, then you have to file lawsuit against the City to recover for your damages.

You may consider retaining the services of local Attorney who handles municipal and property damage/personal injury cases to assist you with the case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Google.com

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best wishes,

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
This happened in July and they just told me a report needed to be filed. I called the city hall and they said it needed to just go through my insurance because the city was self insured
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 22 days ago

Thank you for the information.

If City employees destroyed your property, the City is responsible for it. Your insurance is not responsible for it. However, you can contact your insurance company and make a claim to the insurance company. Then the insurance company through the right of subrogation would sue the City on your behalf to get back what it paid you.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I went through my insurance and they rules it as total - I had to get a new car and because my car had originally been paid off I didn’t get enough money and leased a new car

If your insurance does not want to be bothered with the lawsuit, then you have to proceed on your own. See my first response for links to Attorneys that you can contact to assist you with the case. Here it is for your conveniece:

Google.com

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. Thank you for your cooperation.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law