I live in a 190 apartment complex. We have designed handicap…

Customer Question
I live in a...

I live in a 190 apartment complex. We have designed handicap parking. Management is going to remove the signs and paint handicap in the space. This will decrease the number of spaces from 11 to 4. Is there anyway we can stop this? Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have only talked to the manager to try to change her mind

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I understand

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Okay

Still with you' just a slow typist...

Ok

Ok, thanks for your patience. If you could estimate, how many parking spaces exist in the entire apartment complex? The reason that is important is because that determines how many spaces at a minimum need to be there according to the ADA.

Still here

No answer

Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "no answer." Can you clarify for me so I can assist?

I have not received an answer to my question only instructions to call for $59:00

I'm sorry for the confusion.

So, Just Answer charges a $5 non-refundable deposit to post your question. Usually, it is only $37 additional for your entire interaction with me (you’re not charged per response). There is also the option for a $59 phone call, but please understand that this is OPTIONAL and it is requested automatically by the system, not me, although it is highly valuable, it is not required. Would you like to continue?

53 in my section it's all private parking

I see. I'm sorry about this; however, the ADA only requires that 3 spaces be accessible if there are anywhere between 51 and 70 spaces in a residential area. This means that having 11 was already above the maximum and having 4 is still above the maximum allowed by law. It is possible that your state has more stringent ADA laws and you would need to contact your attorney general in your state for more information on this. The reason I say this is because it is possible that if the law requires more if the lack of parking creates unreasonable barriers to those handicapped individuals, then the landlord could be forced to keep it at closer to 11 than closer to 4.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?