I was wondering how to go about sueing a club. Michigan, and…

Customer Question
I was wondering how...

I was wondering how to go about sueing a club.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan, and my girlfriend was strangled by a man at the club, and the bouncers stood there and watched

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your girlfriend taken so far?

Filled a police report and has a case number\

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The police took pictures of her neck, and we asked the guy before he chocked her if he was a bouncer because he was standing with them but he was in street close and clearly drunk he said no but then after it all happened and the police came he ran off amd the manager said he was a off duty bouncer but refused to give the piolice his name.

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 23 days ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First, if this guy was an off duty bouncer and was not working in his capacity as a club employee, generally even under the legal theory of respondeat superior, the club will successfully get out of the suit since he was not on the clock working for him and he was not providing service to the club at the time.

However, if you want to sue the club you need to do so through their registered agent, which you would look up online at the MI Secretary of State's Office. You would have to name not just the business, but you also need to name the person who choked her (if he is not known, but known to the club, you name him as "john doe" and then in the lawsuit discovery period you force the club to disclose his information).

However, if you are going to sue the club and this individual for the tort of assault/battery and injuries and pain and suffering, you should be using a local personal injury attorney to pursue them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
is there anything we can do ince the on duty bouncers stood there and watched? and are there any lawyers who handle these kind of cases without payment up front,
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ill just stay on chat I wasent thinking it would cost anything I paid 5$ already just to chat

Thank you for your reply.

Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The on duty bouncers are not legally responsible for doing anything other than protecting the club from being damaged. IF they did not attack your wife, they would not be liable. The guy who attacked your wife would be the liable party.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney