What is a Merit Trail in simple terms? MD. Cant afford an…

Customer Question
What is a Merit...

What is a Merit Trail in simple terms?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Cant afford an attorney. seeking advice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm a co-signer to a student loan for 2006

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2018
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

A merit trial is a trial on the merits of the case. It is the same as a trial, just an additional name, so you will have a chance to defend yourself in court against their accusations. It sounds like, from the limited facts you've provided, that the other party who signed the loan defaulted, and now the lender is suing you for the money?

Essentially, this is a trial for the plaintiff (the lender) to prove that you are liable for the debt and your opportunity to raise any possible legal defenses or present evidence as to why you would not be liable.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.