My mom is 80 years old. My older sister and her daughters…

Customer Question
My mom is 80...

My mom is 80 years old. My older sister and her daughters are harassing and threatening my mom. They are posting mean things on Facebook. Is there anything legally that my mom can do to make them stop and leave her along?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I have texted my neice and sister and told them bothMy mom co-signed a loan for a car for her. She is not making

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sorry sent unfinished. My niece posted a picture on Facebook showing my mom and a friend with a caption something like " they cant say hi to be but can talk about me. We untagged mom and left it alone because they have turned mean and vicious and saying something would only have started a word war. Then my niece sent a letter to my mom and called her a whore and said many more ugly things. I sent a text to her and my sisters saying that this has gone to far and that mom will delete them from her contact and they needed to do the same. Mom wouldn't be connecting them and more and for them not to contact mom. Mom co-signed a car note and she has not been paying so mom has been getting letters and harassing calls from the bank. Every time gets one she or I would tell my younger sister to let my older sister know mom is getting calls/letters. My older sister called mom and chewed her out about me knowing about her business and alot more crap. Mom drove down their street (which is a public road in the city) and my older sister called my mom again and chewed her out for driving down their street and said that her daughter (my niece a moms grand daughter) was going to press charges for harassment if she drove down their street again. Now my niece has posted a mean facebook post printing my moms name to the post. What can mom do to stop this harassment?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am sorry to hear this
if one party unduly harassed another, whether by cyber bullying or unwanted contact, the victim can pursue a protective order which precludes the offender from engaging in the prohibited contact. Most courts will have a packet of forms for the victim to complete. Then the court will hold a hearing and determine if a protective order is appropriate.
This was a waste of my time and money. I’m not happy with the response. It didn’t help at all or tell me anything I didn’t know. I was looking for options
Is a protective order not an option you are interested in?
That wouldn’t be my first choice. I want it to stop but since it’s family I don’t want to burn bridges unless all other options have failed.
I would suggest mediation that van be very helpful. I thought you were looking for legal information as it relates to legal options. But if the family wishes to deal with it in a less aggressive manner that is generally mediation which is a voluntary process and is not as adversarial as litigation
I am looking for legal. Isn’t there something that can legally be done that warns of court action if harassment doesn’t start.
The closest thing would be a cease and desist letter telling the other person to stop their offensive action and then the next step is to file for a protective order. That is normal protocol. I am not aware of any other legal actions.
How do I go about getting a cease and desist letter?
Those are drafted by an attorney and they set forth the conduct one is trying to stop. A person can draft there own.there are not templates because it is so fact specific. It basically serves as warning to the party to stop the offensive behavior or suit will be filed

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.