A friend and I was planning to do to a trip, she told me to…

Customer Question
A friend and I...

A friend and I was planning to do to a trip, she told me to get the tickets and she would pay me back, when the time came, she cancelled and said she could get the days off, etc . Multiple excuses for 7 months now. She owes $750.00. How do I go about collecting

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nyc

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Calling texts email voicemail and she’s ignoring me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing legal yet

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

A verbal agreement is as enforceable as a written one, in most cases. The terms are just harder to prove.

Since the claim does not exceed $5000, you can sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

How long do I have to file this claim, it was 7 months ago

The statute of limitations for breach of a written contract in Virginia is 5 yrs.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.