I bought a car a month ago from a private seller. I had to…

Customer Question
I bought a car...

I bought a car a month ago from a private seller. I had to get some work done to it so it has been in the shop. I haven't registered it yet. Can I still register it after a month. I was told I had 30 days but after thinking about it I'm not sure that was right. Will I have extra regestration fees. I live in colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CO lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have insurance on it it's been at the shop so it hasn't been driven and I was going to transfer the title tomorrow

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
4/2/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

I bought a car a month ago from a private seller. I had to get some work done to it so it has been in the shop. I haven't registered it yet. Can I still register it after a month.

Response 1: Yes, you can. You have 60 days to register it after purchase.

I was told I had 30 days but after thinking about it I'm not sure that was right.

Response 2: And you would be right. You are given 60 days to register the car after purchase.

Will I have extra regestration fees. I live in colorado

Response 3: No, you will not because you are not yet late registering the car. Click here for more information.

Registration Required
  • Within sixty days after purchase (42-3-103(1)(a) C.R.S.)
  • Within ninety days after becoming a resident of Colorado
  • An owner of a foreign vehicle operated within this state (42-3-103(2) C.R.S.)
  • Every nonresident person who operates a business within this state and owns and operates in such business any motor vehicle trailer, semi-trailer, or trailer coach (42-3-103(3) C.R.S.)
  • Within forty-five days after the owner has returned to the United States (42-3-103(4)(b) C.R.S.)

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.