My brother was brought in the a psych unit last night.

Customer Question
My brother was brought...

My brother was brought in the a psych unit last night . Transferred this morning and the hospital won’t tell us where since he’s an adult. Which I understand I’m in the health field myself and psychology field . My concern is he’s not stable . Therefore my mother should be able to access this information

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Called the hispital. Tried talking to the compliance department but they’re off today. Calling every mental/ crisis departments we can find in the area

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was taken in involuntary last night by the cops after attempting suicide

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

No my brother who we’re trying to find was

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unless your mother has a signed power of attorney form or a signed HIPAA release form, they cannot give her any information without a court order. So, legally, they cannot give out his information unless your mom or some other family member has a properly signed power of attorney or a signed HIPAA release.

If he is mentally unstable, any of your family members can go to court tomorrow to file a petition for guardianship over an adult to get a court order showing he is not able to care for his own affairs and then if the court issues a guardianship or power of attorney then that member can get his information.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.