Can I sue a doctor for not telling me that my back is

Customer Question
Can I sue a...

Can I sue a doctor for not telling me that my back is disintegrating? It showed up on an x-ray 10 years ago. Was written in the diagnosis. And now I have spinal stenosis. Have had cervical spine surgery. Now waiting for lumbar surgery. My x fiance told him not to tell me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

It happened in Wyoming.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I'm just figuring it all out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can I sue the person that told him to do this?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under WY law, medical malpractice claims must be filed within 2 years of the act of alleged malpractice. However, WY law also says that if you could not have reasonably discovered the malpractice/misdiagnosis within that 2 years, then you have 2 years from when you did discover the malpractice/misdiagnosis to file suit.

Your suit would be against the doctor, not against your ex fiance, if they misdiagnosed you or did not tell you about your condition and that your condition could have been fixed at that time.

You would need another doctor to testify on your behalf about the negligence of the first doctor in order to sue for malpractice in WY.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.