In the state of GA can you legally rent a room? I signed a…

Customer Question
In the state of...

In the state of GA can you legally rent a room?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a Georgia lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I signed a notarized lease agreement to rent a room for a year but I’ve heard that it illegal to do so in the state of GA so I was wondering if my notarized lease is void

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

There is nothing at the state level that bans renting a room; if the owner rents rooms it is generally deemed a boarding house

Now this may be illegal based on local ordinance implemented by the city; for example ATL forbids this as their ordinance states that a rooming house is considered multi-family residential use and is not permitted in any single family or duplex residential district.

As such a lease to that effect would be void as illegal.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.