I got pulled over in New Mexico for speeding and officer…

Customer Question
I got pulled over...

I got pulled over in New Mexico for speeding and officer noticed a bag of canibas in my car. I was taking it to my friend. Amount was about 500ml oil bottle

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NM lawyer about this?

No I have not

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing yet. I have court date on apr2nd

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not for now

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2018
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 21 days ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is the question that you wish to ask about this?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is there anything i need to do before I go to court?
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Anything you recommend

Were you charged with possession or with the intent to sell? Can you afford to hire a lawyer?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Possision not attended to sell
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I can not afford a lawyer

Give me a few minutes to look up the statute in NM and compose you an answer.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok thank you

It looks as if possession of marijuana concentrates is a misdemeanor with a maximum possible penalty of a year in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. Jail would be unlikely, if you were looking for a disposition. You would probably be looking at some form of probation on a plea bargain.

There isn't much you can do between now and your court date to help yourself. If you're a user, starting to go to NA meetings is something the court may like and could cause the judge to look upon you more favorably.

Beyond that, make sure you stay out of trouble and that you show up on your court date. Then you can plead not guilty when you're arraigned on the charge, tell the judge you cannot afford a lawyer and ask him to appoint you a public defender who can take matters from there.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok. If I ask for public defender. Will that make them rearrange followup court date?

Yes. Once you plead not guilty and ask for a lawyer, the judge will set the case down for a new date and you'll meet your lawyer in court on that date. There are sometimes ways of coming out of a first arrest of this kind without a conviction, and your lawyer may be able to negotiate something like that for you.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 5 stars on the rating scale, as a rating of okay or better is the only way that JustAnswer will give us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow-ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
What I'm trying to get here is. If I were to plea guilty for possision. What would layer do for me then? Officer did not arrest me or book me. He just gave me a ticket with court date. He didn't do the bretheliser thing on me
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I Wanna plea guilty but I just wanted to know what charges could be

You should never plead guilty until you know what you are going to get as a sentence in exchange for that plea. That’s why you need to plead not guilty and let a lawyer work out a deal for you. Once he gets you a deal you like, then you can take back your not guilty plea and plead guilty. If you go in and immediately plead guilty, you will have a criminal record and the judge can give you any sentence he wants up to a year of jail. You already told me what the charges would be, which is possession of marijuana concentrate, which should be a misdemeanor.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Ok thats what I needed to know thank you for your help

You’re welcome. Please don’t forget to rate my services to you before leaving the site so that I can get credit for my work.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney