Second opinion] I fractured my wrist o Dec. 23 at my nephews…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I fractured...

Second opinion] I fractured my wrist o Dec. 23 at my nephews home that he rents. I have had 9 therapy sessions. The hand is still swollen and I have regained only partial use. My nephew lease state that he must get renters insurance which he did not do. I fell off of a step that had no hand rail. If I sue the owner will it go back to my nephew that has no insurance even though a hand rail should have been installed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None legally

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would not want to proceed if my nephew is liable.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
is anyone working on this?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Where is the second opinion?????????????
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. I read your first question and that Attorney gave you the correct answer. Renters insurance provides different coverage than the owners policy covers. If your nephew was required to have renter's insurance and did not, that is a breach of lease matter between the landlord and your nephew. The hand rail is on the Landlord/Owner regardless of how the Landlord/Owner would like to spin the responsibility onto your nephew. Your action is against the landlord.

Renter's insurance provides liability insurance for the tenant's personal property and covers matters such as fire and theft.

Landlord's Responsibility:

"1. Deficient, defective or broken doors, gates and locks

2. Fault stairs (e.g. substance on stairs, damaged steps, missing/defective handrails, dangerous risers)

3. Poor maintenance and/or construction defects in decks, balconies and terraces

4. Slippery or wet surfaces and/or walkways

5. Uneven pavement and other trip hazards

6. Inadequately maintained elevators

7. Lead paint, asbestos and other toxic materials

8. Insufficient security measures

9. Insufficient lighting

10. Inadequate warning signs

11. Dangerous swimming pools (e.g. broken or defective pool drains, lack of No Diving signs, lack of depth markers)..." https://www.castelblanco.com/housing-law/premises-liability/

"Renters insurance coverage protects you and your personal belongings if the worst happens. While you may only be renting your apartment or house, chances are you own most of the stuff in it. And while your landlord's insurance policy on the home typically covers the building structure itself, protecting your valuables comes down to you." https://www.esurance.com/insurance/renters/coverage

The liability of the tenant is strictly limited. Injuries caused by the lack of a hand rail is on the Landlord/owner and the landlord is liable.

Where in Ohio did this occur so I can provide a link for Attorneys in that area that provide Free consultations?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney