How can a plantiff dissolve a PFA? Alabama. Just filed the…

Customer Question
How can a plantiff...

How can a plantiff dissolve a PFA?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Just filed the order and the hearing is scheduled for this week.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. You have a couple of options. The first option is to file a dismissal in your local court to dismiss the PFA. The second option is to just not show up for the hearing if it has not yet been occurred.

To file a dismissal, you need to either follow the court forms provided or you need to file your own motion to dismiss typed up yourself and file it.

When you have your motion ready, you should go to www.thumbtack.com and find a process server. A process server is a person who will serve a copy of the lawsuit on the other party. Service is required for almost all papers you file with the court. A process server must be at least 18 years old and not involved in the case in any way. If you have a friend or family member who can do it, they can serve it for you, too. Otherwise, most process servers charge something like 50-100 dollars. Once service is complete, the process server will typically have to file a “proof of service” form to swear to the court that they filed the documents.

Once the motion is served on the opposing party, they will have a chance to oppose the motion if they wish. They must file and serve their opposition. Regardless, the magistrate will review the documents and either a) call a hearing to have you make oral arguments or b) make a decision without a hearing. Regardless, you’ll be notified of the magistrate’s decision in writing.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Hi, I noticed that we never had a chance to reconnect on this. I’m totally ready to help. Did you have any follow up questions for me or any other facts to add? If not, would you be so kind as to rate your opinion of my service?