Sooo i am leaving an abusive relationship. I have been with…

Customer Question
Hi! Sooo i...

Hi! Sooo i am leaving an abusive relationship. I have been with him for about 12 years! Lived with him in CA AZ and now Indiana... He has many health issues that limit his functioning in certain activities, and as well suffers from so pre-conditioned emotional issues established way before i met. He is in denial of any issue he made need to recognize and blocks any awareness needed... He has made vicious threats to me... my 90 mother lived with us during the relatrionship, but needed to move for safety reasons as well. My cat has also suffered a lot of stress, especially after his daughters brought him a dog, while my mom and i were away in CA for 4 days... she is an older cat and now has some issues from all of it as well. After years of being called vulgar names, accused of things he is fear driven about, and given multiple threats, ultimatums and during his very excessive and extreme aggressive behaviors, while he is in an episode... (body stiff, eyes black and hands clinched etc) pulling a cable out of the wall etc, he has told me i better leave before he kills me! He has gone from bad to worse and i am always be subjected to his bullying, belittling, demeaning and hurtful behavior in one way or another. He is so fear driven from whatever experiences, events and influences and observations in his life, that he must always justify, validate, be on guard and control the environment we share. WITH ALL THAT SAID; I AM LEAVING. THEN IT DAWNED ON ME FROM SOMETHING THAT HIS CPA TOLD HIM. WE ARE NOT MARRIED. HOWEVER, HE WAS TOLD HE BETTER SAFE GUARD AND PROTECT HIS DAUGHTERS INTEREST OR THEY MAY BE IN A POSITION TO FIGHT WITH ME OVER MONEY??? PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME AS TO WHAT I AM ENTITLED TO? THANK YOU!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

DID You read what i just sent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

SINCE I NEED TO LEAVE AND REMOVE MYSELF FROM THIS VERY UNSAFE AND UNHEALTHY ENVIRONMENT... IF I AM ENTITLED TO ANYTHING FROM ALL THE YEARS WE HAVE BEEN TOGETHER, DOES THAT WAIVE ANY OF MY RIGHTS?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
I sent my question and submitted my card as requested? Is a lawyer working on my answer?
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here, however, Indiana has not recognized common law marriage since 1958. ... Indiana, however, does generally recognize marriages that were validly entered into in other states, unless such a marriage violates Indiana public policy.Jan 15, 2013

SSA - POMS: PR 05605.017 - Indiana - 01/15/2013

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/1505605017

You would be entitled to anything you bought while you lived there.You should take it with you.It does not appear you are common law in Indiana .So all you get here is what is in your name or you take with you when you leave.

I appreciate the chance to help you , prayers to you here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Happy Easter glad you are getting out.

Hi! So i am curious. If common law is recognized in other states like CA and AZ would that suffice as valid in Indiana. The reason i even was wondering, is because he CPA told him to put the house he bought his daughter in his Recovable Trust so that when he passes, they would not have to fight with me over money? Why would the CPA say that knowing we aren’t legally married but have been together for about 12 years, and now reside in Indiana?

No common law in California.But if they lived in a state that recognizes common law and moved to Indiana that would be recognized here.

Only a few states recognize common law marriages, and each has specific stipulations as to what relationships are included:

• Alabama.
  • Colorado.
  • District of Columbia.
  • Georgia (if created before 1/1/97)
  • Idaho (if created before 1/1/96)
  • Iowa.
  • Kansas.
  • Montana.