Can Brlinta blood thinner alter the results of a blood

Customer Question
Can Brlinta blood thinner...

Can Brlinta blood thinner alter the results of a blood alchohol test?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Just a test and a ticket given for being over legal limit

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Various medications can affect both breathalizers and blood tests; such results can be challenged based on the manner in which the test was administered (ie chain of custody, process blood was collected etc), and challenged based on medications that may affect the results.

The problem is that while blood thinners may affect the results the court may determine that since the blood was thinned the person was more suspectible to having a higher BAC as well since the alcohol is processed differently.

I don't understand your statement here:
"The problem is that while blood thinners may affect the results the court may determine that since the blood was thinned the person was more suspectible to having a higher BAC as well since the alcohol is processed differently."Do you mean that the BAC being higher can be a result of the medication ? If so why can't the medication be used as a defense ?
If a person is impaired and thay is exacerbated by prescription drugs that will not serve as a defense.Blood thinners may increase one's BAC because the blood is thinner. So it may affect the test in that one's BAC is higher in fact.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh23-1/40-54.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjGxp_hkZfaAhVh5YMKHXgjDx8QFjATegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1DiFTgMoLpzXFlkUSE2pWI