I need to renew my Fl driver licence in Sept 2018. I legally…

Customer Question
I need to renew...

I need to renew my Fl driver licence in Sept 2018. I legally changed my name around 1978, but the records cannot be located by the court. Without a connection from my birth certificate to my current license I cannot renew, What can I do in this situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I am trying to get a passport, but because the name change was legal, they will only accept the original order certified copy. I have searched for 3 years for this but the court has no record. I also tried to call the DMV, but get only a dead end.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The name change was in Jefferson County, Colorado court around 1978.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you cannot get the record of the name change from the court in Colorado, you will need to proceed to court and file a new name change now in court and get a new name change order issued by the court. There are so many people faced with this issue lately with the new REAL ID licenses, but unfortunately there is no simple way to do it without the court orders. A name change petition without any objection takes 30-45 days to complete and have an order entered and that is all that is required for DMV to change your license.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.