I paid a man who said he ran a business selling cell phones…

Customer Question
I paid a man...

I paid a man who said he ran a business selling cell phones about a 1000 dollars and he sent me 2 rocks in a box. I contacted him and he apologized and said he was out of phones so he sent me a refund for too much.i deposited the check and waited 3 days and sent him the overpayment back another 1000 almost and his check bounced so I’m out a total of 1950 dollars now he put himself on my car insurance I got him off it can you help my local police said it happened on the internet so I call the police in that town where he lives and they said it had to start in my town my lawyer said try criminal charges he can’t help right now I contacted the bbb and they said he has no business license

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina he in south carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Police and lawyer and bbb no help from anyone

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I’m going to bed now can we talk later

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
If you know where he is located you can sue him for breach of contract and fraud. If you prevail on the fraud claim you may be entitled to punitive damages and attorney fees, in addition to your actual loss.
Since the claim does not exceed $7500, you can file in SC small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
I am happy to continue if you have further questions.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.