I was inquiring about tenants rights and if a property is…

Customer Question
Hello I was inquiring...

Hello I was inquiring about tenants rights and if a property is being sold while you are an occupant is there a way to get out of that lease if you are no longer comfortable with the property being sold? I hope i phrase that correctly!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No the property was just put up for sale for about 3 weeks now and we have gone through one showing and we feel like we were trapped in the situation just before our new lease renewed they didn't mention the sale and as soon as we renewed our lease the house was put up for sale

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

In general, there is not automatic ability to terminate a lease simply b/c a property that is being rented is going to be sold by the owner.