I have two different bills from a nursing home. One is

Customer Question
I have two different...

I have two different bills from a nursing home. One is $48,010 and the other is $38,500. What would the judge say if I contested them?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I contacted an attorney and he stated that it was a misprint according to the nursing home

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is my brothers debt he has since died

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/30/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Are you the executor of his estate here, did you guarantee payment??Some more information please, thanks

No guarantees were made
would the court consider the lower bill as the real bill?

So here only his estate is liable and his executor.If he died insolvent then you don't have to pay anything personally.Also you at the least would deserve an accurate itemized bill, this is a big difference.Fair Debt Collections Act requires an honest itemized accurate bill.

If this person died insolvent and there is no estate opened I would not pay anything here.You have no legal duty again assuming you didn't sign guarantee of payment.

If you are going to pay this voluntarily then by all means until hey provide an accurate itemized bill don't pay them anything.

I very much think a court might think the lower amount is the amount owed here.But I would consider not paying anything if he has no assets or probate here.Even if he had a bank account that you were named beneficiary you have no legal obligation to pay this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks and Happy Easter.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Let me know if you have more,thanks