I have a contractor threatening a construction lien over a…

Customer Question
I have a contractor...

I have a contractor threatening a construction lien over a small amount $275 he claims we still owe but we disagree as he only provided us with a verbal price

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have had discussion over text regarding the amount due and the amount we are willing to pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What else would they need to know and how much does it cast and how do I pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Cost

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/30/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Good afternoon. Can you please clarify with me what your question is? Is he claiming he never told you the price which you are saying was agreed on?
Originally he advised a price, $500, it creased by $200 I have paid $450 he has since walked off the job and claims we owe him $300 but he has not completed the work. He also says that some of the work he has not done was not in the original price.
Thank you for the reply. Without anything in writing, it is going to be your word against his. While he can try and place a lien he will need evidence to support it and if not, you can contest it and fight it, to have it removed. If you disagree with the price, you need to dispute it with him in writing and share why you think it is one price and not what he claims and advise him if he proceeds and this can not be settled you will defend it and also file a complaint against him with the State against his license.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!