I'm trying to find out if your tenancy can be voided because…

Customer Question
I'm trying to find...

I'm trying to find out if your tenancy can be voided because you smoke. I live in a smoking community Apartments. I thought that was not legal there's more to the story please let me know if it's legal or not

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in Colorado, Colorado Springs

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None I just got a notice at 5 :00 on the 27 that they would not renew my lease. There was no reason given. I then went to the office when it opened the next morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I am disabled. And have been told at one time or another of the employees that I have been one of there best tennets.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 20 days ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

As a tenant, were you allowed to smoke in the rental or on the property? When does your lease expire and why will they not renew it?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I have been for about 4 years. The problem is that the smoke is going up to the apt. Upstairs, and are trying to rent it.Then when they say the smoke is to much and move to a different apt. The thing is I have been talking to them about them that they needed to do some insulation done on my apt. The noise and drafts have increased. Another factor is they can rent my apt. for more then I pay now.That has been about the last year and a half.

Thank you for the rent. They do not have to renew the lease, if they want to rent it for more, although they can simply make a demand to you, for a rental increase, unless your county has a restriction. As far as the smoke, if it is going up into another rental and causing an issue and problem and they can not rent it, they can also not renew the lease and ask that you vacate, if you continue to smoke. If the issue can be remedied by not smoking, instead of having to change the system and they can rent to someone and add a no smoking clause, they can also ask that you vacate and do not have to renew, once the lease expires.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Tina, Lawyer