I purchased 3 tax lien homes with a partner, he told me that…

Customer Question
I purchased 3 tax...

I purchased 3 tax lien homes with a partner, he told me that one of them was in foreclosure I researched that home an the owner paid the taxes. So i asked him about it an now he won't answer my calls. That was all my savings not sure what to do!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Baltimore

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a total of 3 homes and additional funds that he has never used to purchase another one. He has a complaint judgment on 5/9/18 with another young lady Sheena Cochran I would love to contact her what are your thoughts? I plan on going to the hearing

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Legal
3/31/2018
Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 27 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The time spans has been noted however I would like a response.
Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Your question has just come to my attention and I am working on a response. If you can tell me what state and county you are located in, I can provide a more thorough response.

I have just noted that you are in Baltimore; so I am preparing a response and should have that to you shortly.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The liens are in Baltimore, I live in PG county.

I can only imagine how frustrating this situation is. If you provided the funds to your partner and he handled the actual purchases, a couple things may have happened. He may have purchased the home on which the taxes were later paid. When that happens, the funds paid to the county by the buyer will be returned and the original owner will have "redeemed" the property and will still own it. Thus, if you were the actual buyer at the foreclosure/tax sale, you would be refunded your money and would no longer have any claim to the property. If, however, you provided the funds to your partner, he either did purchase the property and will then receive a refund; or, he never purchased the property and still has (or has redirected unlawfully) your funds.

If you had a written agreement with your partner as to how these funds were to be used, you may want to consider reviewing that agreement and whether you wish to file a lawsuit for a breach of that agreement. If the two of you actually operate a business together and it is separately organized (an LLC, corporation, etc.), your methods for seeking compensation from another owner will be dictated by state statutes and it would be worthwhile to consult with a local attorney about those options.

If you are agreement with this other person was oral, you will want to consider sending him a formal demand for the return of your funds and/or proof of the home purchases with appropriate ownership. If he did not purchase the home(s), you will want to demand a refund of your money and, if those funds are not returned, you may need to consider filing a legal action. Sending a formal letter with a date by which you want any proof of title/deed/ownership or return of funds is a good idea, and send it in a way where delivery and receipt can be proven/tracked.

I do not know of any reason you could not contact this Ms. Cochran or attend the hearing. If you are in an actual business with this other person, you will want to be sure you are not breaching any of your duties of loyalty to the company/business in the manner in which you correspond with this third party. In other words, if you are actual business partners, you can investigate for information about her claim, but should not disclose any issues with your business.

I hope this information is helpful. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The lien was satisfied last year. I have a written contract it states tha any disputes have to go threw the American Arbitration Association I’m not clear on how that works.

The American Arbitration Association (AAA) provides the process through which any disputes would be arbitrated. I assume you mean that this arbitration requirement exists in your agreement with your partner. If that is the case, you may want to send him a request for a full accounting of all the funds you've contributed and proof of same so you can determine exactly what claims you may have against him. Then familiarize yourself with the AAA; arbitration is a sort of private trial process that is intended to make resolution of issues more efficient and less expensive than litigation in a court. You can learn more about the AAA here: https://www.adr.org/Arbitration

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer